Monday, December 30, 2013

Festive lights taken a step further

Many people around the world decorate their homes and yards with festive lights for holidays such as Christmas or the new year. Icelanders are among them. However, they go a step further. Not only are shops, city streets, and residences draped with twinkling bulbs. They have extended the decking of halls to cemeteries. I kid you not.



I'm not sure whether to be aghast or delighted. On the one hand, I think of cemeteries as somber place. On the other, why shouldn't the departed be part of the festivities, à la Mexico's Day of the Dead?



Do people in any other countries follow this custom?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, they do! In Bavaria, people leave wreaths, poinsettias, and even little Christmas trees on the graves. I haven't seen any lights, but there are lots of candles.

peripatetic said...

Oh! That's interesting. I like the idea of little Christmas trees. The candles would never work in Iceland, at least outdoors, because it is way too windy!

Corbie said...

In the U.S. one sees wreaths on Memorial Day, but I haven't been near one in the holiday season.