Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Road trip north, part 11

Does anyone know what these flowers are? We saw huge fields of them all over the Czech countryside.



Kutna Hora is a UNESCO World Heritage site and a former silver mining town.



Miners even figure in the cathedral's 15th-century frescoes.



On to Prague, the beautiful capital city.

Here's a closeup of the astronomical clock in the main square.



Spires and statues.



A view from a hill.



Intricate design on this facade.



The famous Charles Bridge.



Is this guy proposing marriage to the deer? If not, what is this about?



The Vltava River.



A mural that makes one think. You might not be able to tell, but it's the infinity symbol.

2 comments:

Corbie said...

The flowers are rapeseed, aka canola, I think. They're in the brassica family.

peripatetic said...

Thanks! You know, they don't sell canola oil in Italy, or at least I haven't found any. (Olive is the oil of choice.) I guess maybe they do in the Czech Republic?