Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A walk in June

Back in June, we went for a stroll and snapped some photos. Here are a few.

In the first picture, you can see the sculpture atop the Vittorio Emanuele II monument in between two church towers. (Vittorio Emanuele II was the king of Italy. We heard that he destroyed a medieval neighborhood to create this monument to himself.)



You may have seen other photos similar to the one below, because it's a famous place in Rome. It's the Trinità dei Monti church at the very top of the Spanish Steps. (We stood on some of the mid-level steps to take the picture. There are a few more flights of steps below the spot where we're standing.)



Then we turned around, descended a bit, and took a photo of Piazza Spagna at the bottom of the steps. This is a wildly popular gathering spot, frequently crowded with tourists.



Here's another view you might've seen before: the Fontana del Tritone in Piazza Barberini. I see this fountain just about every day. Bernini was commissioned to sculpt it in 1642. I read that the fish-looking creatures at the base are supposedly dolphins. I've never seen dolphins that look like that, but I give Bernini credit for a fine fountain.

2 comments:

Beyond Words said...

My memory of the Piazza di Spagna: The first time my family went to Italy (I was 9), we went to Rome to visit an aunt and, to some degree, see the sights. My dad had borrowed someone's movie camera, and in order to make use of it, he had us walk up and down the Spanish steps and wave. I've got to find that film and turn it into a captivating DVD!

peripatetic said...

I'd like to see it! I hope you will post it online.